nanog mailing list archives

RE: Statements against new.net?

From: Jeff Workman <jworkman () pimpworks org>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:08:07 -0500 (EST)

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Simon Higgs exclaimed:

At 12:06 PM 3/16/01 -0500, Jeff Workman wrote:

4. Stability of the root zone and criminal consequences

    It should be recognized that in the United States, altering DNS
    records to the detriment of a pre-existing organization is covered
    under federal computer fraud statute, 18 United States Code, Section
    1030[6]. As a result, criminal convictions have resulted from the
    alteration of DNS information[7]. Most countries now have similar
    laws.

I don't recall saying squat about modifying the root zone.  I was
referring to local nameservers that are under your (or my) administrative
control.  Tell me how this is any different than "content filtering"
packages that are in use today (X-Stop comes to mind.)  Sure, the
underlying mechanism is different, but the result is the same.  User tries
to access a site that is administratively prohibited, and is redirected to
a local web page explaining to them why.  Are we going to prosecute all of
these organizations now?

If it's *my* DNS server running on *my* equipment using *my* bandwidth,
then I can do whatever I want to with it, right?  Just as long as I don't
try any cache poisoning foo or otherwise propagate my authoritative
'new.net' zone to other DNS servers that aren't under my administrative
control.

So instead of wasting energy making the case against you for the
prosecution, why don't you use that energy productively in this situation?
New.net already know this. They don't yet know how to go about it.

Why doesn't new.net start sending me monthly paychecks?  Since they're
*all* about money, then if I am going to help them get their business off
the ground, then where's mine?

Jeff

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.