nanog mailing list archives

Re: verizon paging modem numbers

From: Alan Clegg <abc () bsdi com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:14:24 -0500

Unless the network is lying to me again, Mike Batchelor said:

Does anyone using verizon paging service via digital celphone know the
number for their modems to send pages.  Their sales people want use to
use email, what's new, but as you know we need pages when the network is
down, not up.

What did they say when you told them their answer was inadequate?  What did
they say when you told them if you didn't get a modem phone number, you were
going to cancel your service because it is useless just when it is needed
the most?

Most likely the same thing that Cingular said:

        1) "well, we don't support that service anymore"
        2) "we don't do that, we've never done that"
        3) "huh?"
        4) "you don't need a modem with your GSM phone, it has one built in"
        5) "I've never heard of that, what is it?"

Nobody in "customer service" knows what TAP/IXO paging is, and you know
what?  As long as they have all of the drug-dealers and soccer-moms buying
service from them without the need for TAP/IXO, they don't CARE.

Now, for an answer, search thru an archive of nanog and find the excel <gah!>
spreadsheet that I pointed people to about 2 months ago.  It had several
hundred TAP/IXO modem numbers...

AlanC