nanog mailing list archives

Re: Last Mile QoS WAS: RE: QOS or more bandwidth

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

I am surprised with all of the CLEC's a few years ago who
were deploying IP "Soft Switches" that had VoIP
capabilities, I don't know of anyone selling VoIP services
over DSL (which seem like at least one way to break into the
local voice market).

Well sell it over SDSL with a MOS of 4.8 or better, but we focus mostly
on frac T1 and ATM services. They also have limited last mile bandwidth so
the same issues need to be dealt with.

Sprint initially focused ION on selling user-configured
on-demand residential services over DSL, and were drivers
for VoIP improvements at sub-T1 speeds, but I guess that
didn't make it (the ION presentation at N+I looked
completely unrelated).

I'd guess the financial driver for the last mile now is
pretty much the phone company (who now also owns the cable
company and the competitive phone company as well as the DSL
company). I don't see what motivation they would have to run
multiple services on the same line, and QoS just doesn't
seem to fit in the same phrase as "phone company" (or "cable
company"). Biggest driver for the last mile: support your
local community network, or start one with your neighbors.

Sure, for me it is about putting service creation in my users hands.

-Nathan