nanog mailing list archives

Re: Abuse notification in Chinese (was:black hat .cn networks)

From: hardie () equinix com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

Daryl,
        It's actually in UTF-8 encoding.  Somehow I missed the charset
part of the mime type in the original headers:

 Subject: Abuse notification in Chinese (was:black hat .cn networks)
 Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:21:56 -0400
 From: "Daryl G. Jurbala" <DJurbala () Antiphony com>
 To: <nanog () merit edu>
 Sender: owner-nanog () merit edu

        When I render it as UTF-8, the text is composed of valid
simplified chinese characters.  It may be that your mailer (exchange
V6, apparently) is converting it to UTF-8 from whatever encoding you
are composing in.  As you no doubt know, GB2312 will be most widely
understood as an encoding in Mainland China, so disabling that
conversion will probably a good idea.
                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie

GB2312 is working on my system (not on your quoted text, but on the
original as it came back to me posted to the list).  I know nearly
nothing about encoding, so I check with the translator and she confirmed
that it was done in that.

If that's not working for everyone, somebody give me a better idea of
how to post it.
Daryl