nanog mailing list archives

Re: terminal server recommendation

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:25:17 +0800

On Wed, May 02, 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

I'm just currious.  I've seen sevaral posts over the past few months
regarding TACACS and RADUIS being used for authentication for term servers
that are used for OOB access to devices.  Something just isn't making
sense here.  If you need to use the device to access something OOB, has it
perhaps come to your attention that it is quite possible that YOUR IPV4
NETWORK CONNECTION TO YOUR TSERVER IS MOST LIKELY DOWN AS WELL and as
such, IT CAN'T AUTHENTICATE YOU TO THE TACACS OR RADIUS SERVER?

You can configure "default" passwords which are used if your
authentication servers are down.

.. you guys do this, right? :-)

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Welcome. :)

I welcome enlightenment from those who see past the gotcha I've outlined
above.

I'm sure you can find example configurations for this on cisco's
website. :-)

In any case, it is certainly plausible that you'd need OOB access to
a device that you can't get IP connectivity to but you can get
connectivity to the local term server. Think "crashed server".
Or "broken flash". Or "Failed remote software upgrade".

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "Two hundred and thirty-three thousand
<adrian () creative net au>       times the speed of light.