nanog mailing list archives

Re: EMAIL != FTP

From: Mitch Halmu <mitch () netside net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:46:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 May 2001 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2001 10:48:48 EDT, Mitch Halmu said:

There's *NO* change in what can be transferred.  The ONLY difference is you
can avoid converting it to base64 at the one end and then decoding it at
the other end.  If you haven't noticed, viruses, trojans, and worms are being
transmitted just as were compiled, via the *current* infrastructure.

Hmmm, I'm looking at an encoded snowhite message body right now. midgets.scr
encoded in base64, and transmitted as an attachment. Can provide you a
copy in private if you want to take it apart (but not on a PC, or you'll
get a *huge* surprise ;)

All others in that family that I looked at were also encoded. Did anyone
get a raw binary via regular email?

--Mitch
NetSide