nanog mailing list archives

Mitch tries to defend his open relay again (was Re: ORBS (Re: Scanning))

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:44:02 -0700

On 05/27/01, Mitch Halmu <mitch () netside net> wrote:

Is there a rule that, except for local dial-in, we cannot offer the same
services to a client located in a part of the world that we dont't have
a dial-in POP as we offer to our local clients? Why shouldn't such clients
be able to get their dial-in somewhere and the rest of their services from
somewhere else? That includes using a remote SMTP server in the same way
a local user can, period.

        You have to balance that desire against your users' generally
        unspoken requirement that your service be functioning, usable,
        and able to deliver mail to its' final destination.  If this
        were any other kind of service that commonly requires user
        authentication (accounting, data storage, etc.) there wouldn't
        even be a question.

        And seriously, Mitch, when was the last time that you heard a
        new argument for why you should close your relay?  Since you're
        obviously unwilling to do so, what's the point of bringing it
        up again and again?

--
J.D. Falk                                                SILENCE IS FOO!
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>