nanog mailing list archives

Re: how many roots must DNS have before it's considered broken (Re: ISP network design of non-authoritative caches)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 00:23:11 +0800

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001, measl () mfn org wrote:

I agree with all of this, but the issue is moot in my book: Since ICANN
felt the need to either own the world or break it, I went elsewhere.  So
did a LOT of others.  Look at the mass exodus from NS/Verisign - same
issues.  IMNSHO, ICANN cares not a rats a@@ about the internet, they are
only interested in the money and the power.  That makes their
"positions" totally meaningless to me, and a lot of others who feel the
same way.

You know, I'm sick of hearing that some particular part of the
internet "governance" (be it ICANN, ARIN, AuDA, APNIC..) is
corrupt, doesn't give a rats ass about the internet, cares about
money, power ..

Hey. If you were in their position,

* what would you have had to do to get there,
* what would you have to do to stay there, and
* what would you do to make it work reasonably well?

Helllllooo! Money is involved. Of course in a capitalist setup you're
going to feel this way. The wealth isn't "evenly spread enough".
Just like any other mega-monopolostic-guaranteed-income organisation.
Sigh.

(Personally, I wish to all hell that part of the DNS registration fees
 still went to "research funds" like they were _supposed_ to way back
 when.)

Do you want to change it?

* write/adapt an existing directory technology to replace the really
  stupid flat namespace DNS has become
* write a plugin for IE
* write modules for the other popular browsers (w3m, links, lynx,
  netscape/mozilla, perhaps even Opera if you can figure it out..)
* don't turn it into a bloody private thing - open source the software,
  write the protocol documentation, encourage other people to work
  on collectively making it better.
* Come back to the internet community with it. :)

The new.net guys, even though I (a) don't wish to bring them up
in polite NANOG conversation and (b) don't agree with what they
were trying to do with the DNS space at -LEAST- attempted to
gather momentum by end-user adoption/acceptance.

It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be "catchy".

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian () creative net au>       Taking the dog."