nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unix Timestamp

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:08:51 -0400

In message <87elnvtsdd.fsf () valhalla seastrom com>, Robert E. Seastrom writes:

Brandon Handeland <Brandon () wyoming com> writes:

Does anyone have a formula to convert a unix time stamp into the
current time?  I know it is January 1st, 1970, in UTC format.  Just
need some example code.

I'm trying to export some data from a HP/UX box into a MSSQL database and
need to use the timestamp feature of MSSQL.

The best code I've seen for this (and which knows about most variants
of the timestamp seen in the wild) was written by Steve Bellovin et
al, and can be found in the inn distribution in lib/parsedate.y

Thanks -- but I think that my code performs the inverse function.  That
is, it converts lots of different time formats *into* Unix time.  Also,
so much of the code was rewritten by others in the mid-1990's that I'm
not sure it's fair to call it mine any more.  (My code was written in
1979, when 'int' was a 16-bit datatype, 'long' didn't exist, and the
yacc stack was composed of 16-bit values only -- all of which are why
it needed to be rewritten...  As a fringe benefit, my original code
not only had y2k issues, it refused to convert any dates after 2000.)

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com