nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

From: Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:17:00 -0700

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 01:02:29AM -0600, Pete Kruckenberg stated:
[snip]
By this reasoning, I could never send an email or make a
phone call or go visit everyone (especially a new
acquaintance), because if /everyone/ sent them an email, or
called them, or visited them, it would certainly be
unwelcome (and possibly cause injury). My singular action is
within the range considered fair and reasonable, where
everyone doing it (or in fact, even just a few dozen people
doing it) would probably not.

therefore, given current technology, it is up to the receiver to state when
he/she/they no longer wish to receive traffic of type X (be it network probes
well-intentioned or otherwise). And it is up to the sender to STOP sending
said traffic upon receipt of such a statement. Not to reply saying, "We've
done nothing wrong, we're just trying to improve network performance" (note
that this performance gain is obviously not going to be on the receivers'
side; at least not during the scans) and continue the inappropriate traffic.

As with many things, there is a need for common sense and common courtesy.
Neither of which are nearly as common as they should be.

Pete.

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          sfrancis@ [work:]         t o n o s . c o m