nanog mailing list archives

FCC: Do anything you can do to help

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 15 Sep 2001 13:37:26 -0700

On Sat, 15 September 2001, Paul Vixie wrote:
If anyone needs and kind of connectivity between the following buildings:

Likewise, if anyone who needs temporary dark fiber between 60 Hudson
and 111 8th, I've identified some MFN strands.  And, PAIX is ready to
provide temporary housing at 111 8th for any servers or nodes dispossessed
by the WTC attack.

I expect all LEC, CLECs, wireline, wireless, carrier, non-carrier,
traditional, next-generation, tier 1, tier 2, etc are willing and
working to relocate and re-route anyone with service, systems, etc
disrupted or destroyed by Tuesday's attacks.

The FCC has told carriers "Do anything you can do to help."  I would
apply the same statement to non-regulated ISPs and alternative communication
providers.  If you need special assistance in getting circuits re-routed,
or installed in a new location, talk to your provider.  Consider many
of the alternative providers, which had a lot of excess capacity before
Tuesday's attack.

For example, there are reports of several former dot-COM property management
companies offering space in buildings previously occupied by dot-COM companies
which went out of business earlier this summer.