nanog mailing list archives

Some History on Telco Fires [was: ATT network recovery preparedness... ]

From: Frank Coluccio <fcoluccio () dticonsulting com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 05:06:22 GMT

SD:

Like yourself, I seem to recall a fire in the early 1970s, but that was rather
tame and preceded the 'really big one' by several years, which occurred in
February of 1975. That's the one I think you're referring to, I believe. Mayor
Beame was in office at the time.

A bit of history follows. Sorry if it's OT, but I think that there's a story in
here somewhere that is instructive. The story was reported quite accurately in
the following, from my recollection. I was the AT&T liason to NY Telephone (now
Verizon) at the time, in charge of restoration of all AT&T/WU/OCC services that
were transiting the "Second Avenue Central Office" at the time of the fire. The
C.O. was located at East 13th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan, despite an
error in the account below, which has the terms "street" and "avenue" reversed in
one place.

This fire, incidentally, remains the worst ever to befall a communications
center, even beyond that which befell the Illinois Bell Hinsdale Central Office
in 1987. It's been lost to history, however. I should note here that about a
dozen or so fire fighters eventually died from this incident, after the fact, as
a result of inhaling massive amounts of toxic fumes which led to varying types of
respiratory ailments and cancers.