nanog mailing list archives

Re: Horrible world trade center crash, traffic effect

From: Simon Lockhart <simonl () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:41:39 +0100

The problem seems to be site limiting, rather than network limiting. i.e.,
news sites are being overloaded, which is causing slow or no response to
http queries due to either server overload (my guess) or news site transit
link overload (also possible). This is what seems to be causing lacking of
response to news sites, instead of generalized network or peering
congestion.

I can concur. Network running fine (busy, but not full). Servers *very*
busy. I am amazed how few network outages in NYC I am hearing about.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516