nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lack of Security

From: "Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron () the-infinite org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:57:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Dave Stewart wrote:

At 09:42 PM 9/12/2001, Robert Hough wrote:
The security we display in most aspects of our society echo the same
security we display in most of our networks as well.

Now ask yourself, why was it so easy to hijack these planes? Because we
have sacrificed security for convenience - and our enemy used that
against us. Well, something to chew on. G'Night.

Can someone explain to me how only allowing ticketed passengers past
security checkpoints is going to accomplish anything toward increased
security?  The only thing I can even dream of is that it will reduce the
number of people passing the checkpoints.

And by reducing the number of people passing the checkpoint, you can more
thoroughly check a higher number of people.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli