nanog mailing list archives

RE: Qwest Transit

From: "Gironda, Andre" <agironda () ebay com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:35:17 -0700

I meant any sales guy selling transit would "like to"
ask for strict traffic ratios, while in reality, they
don't actually do this.

Your email is right on otherwise.  I do believe that
many transit offerings in the past and currently
require some kind of strict traffic ratio to *some*
companies.  If you still don't think so, drop me an
email offline and we can chat more about it.

-dre

Thats a mighty fine crack pipe you're smoking from.

The majority of 95th percentile providers that I am aware of will
charge you only for whatever is higher, inbound OR outbound (the notable
exception to this being Exodus, who added in+out and THEN took 95th
percentile, to extract every last penny from your pocket).

Infact depending on the provider you choose, you might even be able
to strike some better deals based on your ratios. For example, rumor
has it that Google struck a great deal with AboveNet because all their
inbound traffic (from spidering) helped balance out AboveNet's
peering links (I don't know if that story is accurate or not, but
it has a ring of truth to it).

To my knowledge Cogent is the only provider who asks for traffic
ratios on their transit connections. The reason? Probably because
Cogent is already taking a massive massive loss on anything they
must transit. Their only chance to make money at the end of the day
is to get as much peering as quickly as possible (hence their buying
spree of "hosed" companys who just happened to have lots of legacy
peering), and since they are answerable to their peers for their
ratios they must pass on those requirements to their customers.

It's interesting to note how much inbound traffic is "in demand"
by hosting providers. With the breakup of @Home into many regional
cable companies, most of whom havn't the slightest bit of clue how
to build a network let alone a backbone, the traffic profiles change
greatly. My prediction is that a lot of traffic which used to be
peered into @Home at "major exchange points" will turn into transit
connections from other providers. Unfortunately for the cable
companies, the people who they could get the best deals from (the
"mostly hosters") tend to be highly based around the "major exchange
points" cities (to most efficiently pump traffic into the rest of
the internet), not the "rest of the world".

-- Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
PGP Key ID: 0x138EA177  (67 29 D7 BC E8 18 3E DA  B2 46 B3 D8 14
36 FE B6)