nanog mailing list archives

Re: packet reordering at exchange points

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:44:11 -0500

Thus spake "Mathew Lodge" <mathew () cplane com>
At 03:48 PM 4/10/2002 +0100, Peter Galbavy wrote:
Why ?

I am still waiting (after many years) for anyone to explain to me
the issue of buffering. It appears to be completely unneccesary
in a router.

Well, that's some challenge but I'll have a go :-/

As far as I can tell, the use of buffering has to do with traffic
shaping vs. rate limiting. If you have a buffer on the interface,
you are doing traffic shaping -- whether or not your vendor calls
it that. ... If you have no queue or a very small queue ... This is
rate limiting.

Well, that's implicit shaping/policing if you wish to call it that.  It's
only common to use those terms with explicit shaping/policing, i.e. when you
need to shape/police at something other than line rate.

except for the owner of the routers who wanted to know why
they had to buy the more expensive ATM card  (i.e. why
couldn't the ATM core people couldn't put more buffering on
their ATM access ports).

The answer here lies in ATM switches being designed primarily for carriers
(and by people with a carrier mindset).  Carriers, by and large, do not want
to carry unfunded traffic across their networks and then be forced to buffer
it; it's much easier (and cheaper) to police at ingress and buffer nothing.

It would have been nice to see a parallel line of switches (or cards) with
more buffers.  However, anyone wise enough to buy those was wise enough to
ditch ATM altogether :)