nanog mailing list archives

RE: root zone file

From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:27:00 -0700

At 05:32 PM 4/26/2002 -0400, Matt Zito wrote:

Replacing the hints file with the top level zone speeds up lookups, and removes the burden from the root servers:

zone "." {
      type master;
      file "root.db";
};

However, the best way to do this is to AXFR the root zone off of the root servers (note this is the ORSC root configuration and *NOT* the ICANN root):

zone "." {
        type slave;
        file "root.db.slave";
        masters{        199.166.24.12;
                        216.13.126.116;
                        199.166.28.10;
                        204.80.125.130;
                        195.117.6.25;
                        199.166.31.3;
                        199.166.31.250;
                        199.5.157.128;
                        204.57.55.100;
                        213.196.2.97; };
};

Irrespective of whether you agree with the contents, this method is a very clean and efficient way to reduce the load on the root servers.

I really don't want to start any discussions about the relative merits of
the ICANN vs. ORSC vs. New.net vs. anything root zones, but I feel like I
need to mention that the main zones on this page are for the ORSC root
servers, not the ICANN ones.  The ICANN zone file at the bottom is the hints
file, not the root zone.

Thanks,
Matt

Best Regards,