nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:45:15 -0500

Thus spake "Daniel Golding" <dgolding () yahoo com>
Hmm. I'm afraid that I have to disagree with just about everything you've
said :) . I haven't seen any enterprise folks demanding v6 - If VOIP and
PDA's (?) use up their IP addresses, they can easily ask for more. The more
you use, the more you get. There is no shortage of v4 space.

Most enterprise folks use nowhere near their paltry allotment of IPv4 addresses
because 95% or more of their hosts are on RFC1918 space.  Even most companies
with multiple class B legacy allocations use RFC1918 internally and are just
holding the class B's so they can multihome effectively.

Basically, major backbone networks will deploy v6 when it makes economic
sense for them to do so. Right now, there is no demand and no revenue
upside. I don't expect this to change in the near future.

Enterprise networks will not be the driver for ISPs to go to IPv6; NAT is too
entrenched.  Perhaps greater adoption of always-on broadband access will be the
necessary push.