nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:41:52 -0400

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 11:20:44AM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 06:09:05PM +0300, Petri Helenius wrote:

If the software MTBF would be better, convergence would not be an issue.
As long as it's an operational hazard to run core boxes (with some
vendors anyway)  with older piece of code than six months, you end up
engineering convergence into the networks.

Odd, I think most people would say it's an operational hazard to run code
newer than 6 months old, or at least with less than 6 months of testing on
any particular image.

        With all the recent software secuirty advisories that affect
many vendors (ssh, snmp, etc..) running anything older than that is
a blatant security risk for anyones network.  Not keeping up-to-date
on these items and thinking you're fine is just asking to be
brought down.

How they're able to completely break so many critically important things
within 2 weeks between a bugfix code rev is still beyond me. :)

        I'm not sure what vendor you are refering to, but i've not seen
any problems like this anytime in the past 6+ months.

        - jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net