nanog mailing list archives

Re: The magic security CD disc Re: HTTP proxies

From: Florian Weimer <Weimer () CERT Uni-Stuttgart DE>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:13:37 +0100

"Hunter Pine" <hunter () compuhelp com> writes:

As much of a flame magnet as this post may be, I'd actually like to
commend MS for their security efforts on Windows XP.

"Simple File Sharing" doesn't look to great, I'm afraid.  Apparently,
quite a few people manage to create a share with public write access
when activiting it.

MS can't push it, or there'd be yet another lawsuit.

Read the EULA.  Microsoft will push it, but only if it's not *your*
security which is in danger, but the security of the *content*
*providers*.

Nice asymmetry, and it shows where we are heading.

--
Florian Weimer                    Weimer () CERT Uni-Stuttgart DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/