nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL & Cogent

From: Basil Kruglov <basil () cifnet com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 05:37:10 -0600

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:45:21PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
2. I think I asked this before, why wouldn't Cogent prepend
customer prefixes to Level3 or set BGP4 community for multihomed sites,
homed w/ Cogent + someone else.

You got your answer to this before, what part wasn't clear? Cogent isn't
congested in the inbound direction, only outbound to Level 3. The best
they could do is lower their localpref for 3356, which I would surely hope
they have done already.

I understand very well that there is no problem on the inbound of Cogent
from Level3.

For my not-so-bright customers I simply want traceroutes to look good when
they run one from Level3-homed site. Obviously a ~5-7 hops to us looks
really disturbing, try to explain to one of them that there is no problem.

Enough said.
-Basil