nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:00:03 -0600

Once upon a time, Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net> said:
      The problem is that the "tier 2" and whatnot providers have [mostly]
missed the boat on it and don't have people that are able to configure
their routers for mbgp.  (this is not to say all but most).

      There are a lot of resources for getting help in fixing and
deploying multicast these days.  It'd be nice to see more people turning it
on.

Okay, I'm with a (decent sized, although probably small by NANOG
measures) ISP.  Why do I want to turn on multicast (what does it get me
that I don't have today)?  And if I want to turn it on, where can I find
the resources you mention?

These are meant as honest questions (not intended as rhetorical or
argumentative questions).  I want to understand why I should do this.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>