nanog mailing list archives

Re: traffic filtering

From: Stephen Griffin <stephen.griffin () rcn com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:48:52 -0500 (EST)

In the referenced message, Walter Klomp said:
As far as I know .0 and .255 are network and broadcast addresses
respectively, NEVER should a workstation be configured on these addresses,
unless something drastically changed in the RFC's for IPv4 which I am not
aware of...

only on a /24. on /0 - /23 only the first .0 is network, and the last
.255 broadcast. on /25-/30 it depends on where the network begins and
ends. /31 has no directed broadcast. /32 is a single host and similarly
has no directed broadcast.

I for one am filtering .0 and .255 at my border routers, and also rate
limiting echo at a reasonable rate... and have never gotten a complaint
about people not being able to reach or be reached...

Walter Klomp