nanog mailing list archives

Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

From: Petr Swedock <petr () blade-runner mit edu>
Date: 09 Jul 2002 15:32:08 -0400

David Meyer <dmm () sprint net> writes:

Here's my $0.02 on the whole multicast thing. We've been at this
for a number of years now, and robust, ubiquitous multicast
on the internet is really nowhere in sight.

1. The problems that multicast solves are also solved by the favorite
solution of business: buy your way out of the problem. Bigger
fatter pipes. More bandwidth. Beefier routers. The problems have
been addressed (papered over) by an alternate -easily implementable-
but not superior algorithm.

 Kind of sounds like
QoS, and maybe there's a lesson there (20 years of research and
IETF activity, yielding, well, what?).

2. The problems that Qos solves are also solved by the favorite
solution of business: buy your way out of the problem.

Given the amount of time and resource we've spent on multicast,
the question one might ask is "why hasn't multicast succeeded"?

goto 1. recurse.

I do think, however, that we've all gotten it quite wrong since the
beginning. Multicast is not a subset of IP. It is IP.  With a
different view of the protocol, unicast IP is a multicast group of 2.
Broadcast is a multicast group of all... perhaps if the infrastructure
reflected that from the get-go, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Peace,

Petr