nanog mailing list archives

Re: ELF/Scalper-A Spreading?

From: "Johannes Ullrich" <jullrich () sans org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:01:23 -0400

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
"senthil ayyasamy" <mplsgeek () yahoo com> wrote:

Our border ACLs are catching about three thousand
UDP/2100 hits every minute
tonight.  Is anyone else seeing this?  It seems as
if ELF/Scalper-A (the
Apache/FreeBSD worm) is spreading.

http://www.dshield.org/port_report.php?port=2100
  Their is no major activity across 2100.

Since the 2100 traffic would be a targeted DDOS attack,
it will not show up globally. Also, didn't Scalper use
a commodity DDOS engine? So the 2100 traffic you see is
not necessarily from Scalper but could be from something
else that uses the same ddos engine.

But activity  in more across 17300.
(http://www.dshield.org/port_report.php?port=17300)
what might be the reason?

yeah. if anybody has packet captures. Probably not appropriate
for the Nanog list. But just send them to me.

--
jullrich () sans org             Collaborative Intrusion Detection
                                    join http://www.dshield.org