nanog mailing list archives

Re: Summary to date: How many protocols...

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:59:39 -0500

Thus spake "todd glassey" <todd.glassey () worldnet att net>
So the real question was "From an ISP's perspective, I was looking for a
general number as to how many user-level protocols you ISP folks route
through your infrastructure and what the statistical distribution of total
bytes per protocol out of the total bytes moved is/was."

ISPs route IP packets, not user-level protocols.

Some ISPs keep statistics on which user-level protocols are in use, and as you
note HTTP is heavily dominant.

Since there is much unrest in the ICANN today and US Senators are now
screaming about its reform, I would like to pose the question to the ISP
members of this group, what will you do about the impending need at the ISP
level for:

    1)    Supporting multiple DNS Roots for your clients

There is only one root, even if it is controlled by a bunch of idiots.

    2)    Installing and supporting the mechanical concept of eBorders
    3)    What if anything you folks are doing to produce network
infrastructure worthy of being called "Evidentiary Grade"...

I think most folks are still worried about out how to profitably provide basic
IP transport; eBorders (whatever that is) and "Evidentiary Grade" networking are
stuff for academics.