nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bogon list

From: Aditya <aditya () mighty grot org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:54:07 -0700

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:47:51PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:47:00PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
Exchange point blocks SHOULDN'T be transited by anyone, therefore you
should not hear them from your peers.

I would say this the other way around, all exchange point blocks
should be transited by someone.

Back in the day, things like the mae-east FDDI were originated by
a half dozen AS's.  Why?  If you had "full routes", but didn't
connect to the mae, you could traceroute but not ping it, and things
of that nature.  It confused people.  Of course, the inconsistent
announcements were also an issue.

Am I right that I don't see a reason why IX blocks should be transited other
than traceroute should work? I can think of a couple of reasons why the blocks
SHOULDN'T be transitted by anyone.

Adi