nanog mailing list archives

Re: SPEWS?

From: <william () elan net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:11:27 -0700 (PDT)

But there is intermediate altenative - create organization with all isps
as its members (kind of like ARIN/APNIC/RIPE for mail service providers)
and have all downstream corporate customers be required to either also be
member of this organization or relay email through its isp. Do note that

I'm *sure* that our connectivity provider will want us to forward us
several million pieces of email a day, just so they can forward it
along, if we decided to not join.  So we have our choices of joining
(probably with a membership fee), letting a provider that probably doesn't
want our load relay our mail (and that will cost *them* money for a mail
server hefty enough to do it), or filter port 25 because we didn't pay...

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of autentication with using
SSL certicates for authentication of mail servers from member.Administering
large list is a nightmare so its easier that initial or direct member get
certicare from root organization and then members can themselve issue
(and revoke) a certificate to large enough customers with a backroute
that if mailserver does not accept your certificate, you can send email
through upstream.

Looks like a good candidate for getting sued via RICO.  "An offer you can't
refused".  Hmm...
This one I agree, serious legal problems that will arise due to large
marketing houses and some free-speach groups will need to be worked out.
But if there are anti-SPAM laws on country-level on majority of the world
and most isps agree that to some kind of mediation organization, this can
be overcome.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc.