nanog mailing list archives

Re: how is cold-potato done?

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

If I peer with network X in cities A and B, and receive the same route in
both cities with an AS-path of X, how do I know which city to use for an
exit?  I can understand how if X uses communities to tag the geographic
origin of the traffic, but I'm not aware of many networks that do
this.  Lots of networks claim to use cold-potato routing though, so how do
they do it?

      they use the MED sent on the route (aka metric) from the
other provider to determine which exit where they both interconnect
is the "shortest".

      this can at times provide undesired results because of
aggregation.

Besides aggregation, wouldn't this lead to a lot of ties?
Let's say the cities are LA & Manhattan, and the route from X originates
in Chicago.  I would think that it would be a common occurrance for the
route to have the same metric in LA & Manhattan.

-Ralph