nanog mailing list archives

RE: Large ISPs doing NAT?

From: "Daniska Tomas" <tomas () tronet com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:15:00 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Jake Khuon [mailto:khuon () NEEBU Net]
Sent: 2. mája 2002 10:51
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Large ISPs doing NAT?

DT> and what if one of the devices behind that phone would also be a
DT> personal "ip gateway router" (or how you call that)... you could
DT> recursively iterate as deep as your mail size allows you to...

It's possible.  Could it get ugly?  Yes.  Do we just want to
shut our eyes and say "let's not go there."... well... maybe.
 I just don't think the solution is to say, "this can never
happen... we must limit all handheld devices to sitting
behind a NAT gateway."

no eye-shutting. it's just about considering HOW MANY (or WHAT PART) of your users will need the 'full' service. if you
have 95% of bfu's with web+mail phones or pda's then nat is completely ok for them. and those 5% (if so many ever)
phreaks - give them an opportunity to have public ip with no nat for a few bucks more

you will end up with exactly two exactly specified services... not that bad, is it?

--

Tomas Daniska
systems engineer

A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.