nanog mailing list archives

RE: The market must be coming back

From: "Gary" <garyb () foundrynet com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:23:54 +0900

Chance:

that want 4 X 10 GbE on each module (8 slot chassis).  I
expect this will be a perfect 40G throughput since I've never
seen us do anything less than perfect (been working here
since August).

Oh phuleeese.... Stop drinking your own Kool-Aid(tm). To honestly
suggest that Foundry, or any other vendor for that matter, never does
'anything less than perfect' is nothing less than idiotic. If Foundry
does things so 'perfect' why do they have a TAC? Why do they have bugs?
Why do they even need to release new software ever again? Obviously what
is out now will solve every possible issue - its 'perfect' right? The
only possible answer according to your logic, is to support customers
who are 'doing it wrong' and need to be educated.

Topic is performance.  Not sugary beverages.  Sorry for not making that
clear.  Let me reword.  My bad:  "perfect performance on 10GbE".  I believe
I also mentioned our 8G per slot throughput limitation not to mislead people
to think we do 10GbE non-blocking.  Same limitation as the Cat6500 once it
gets up to speed.

Go find the nice black shirts that were passed out at Foundry's last
Kool-Aid fest. You are in obvious need of one. This is NOT the place to
post vendor FUD. All you are doing is making Foundry look bad, and
making yourself look even worse.

Didn't you pass out those shirts?  Everything I posted concerning
performance of 10GbE I saw for myself.  All other information was publicly
available and concerns operators interested in 10GbE.  Many of them are
unaware of their options and I wanted to bring Foundry to light.

Reading NANOG you would think that the only way to spot Nimda would be NBAR
and the only MPLS is Juniper.  The post I replied to is a person considering
10GbE in a 6500.  I've seen the performance on this at a customer site with
SmartBits.  The channel became a Foundry reseller because of this specific
issue.

Now the same configuration comes up on NANOG and I wanted the person
thinking about the 6500/10GbE solution to be aware of what I saw.  Perhaps
the performance is faster than 4G today (My info is a month old).  If I were
to leave Foundry today (to make them look better) and work for another
company (McDonalds?), I would have sent the same post (would you like fries
with that?).  You can't forget what you see.  I have tested our 10GbE
personally.

Gary