nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco quality

From: Rob Healey <rhealey () onvoy com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:36:25 -0500 (CDT)

For those saying Cisco is so great, it's still fucked up pretty bad.  IOS
12.1 and later doesn't allow an MTU > 1460 on L2TP, while 12.0.7(T) works
fine with a 1492 MTU that my PPPoE customers expect.  Every rev I've tried
from 12.0 and up has problems with CEF when using ISL VLAN sub-interfaces,
and without CEF, mac-accounting is screwed up.

        If C brand worked properly as shipped how would Cisco support
        services and other consultancys survive?

        It's a MUCH bigger market in consulting services and Rent-a-Expert than
        the initial hardware/firmware sales.

        If Cisco shipped mostly working product then thousands of high paying
        jobs would be lost and probably a billion or more support dollars would
        never make the rounds in the economy.

        Microsoft and Cisco do the tech industry a HUGE favor by shipping
        misfunctional equipment/software to which consulting services and
        professional services can then step in and hawk their
        wares/bodys/solutions.

        If Cisco and Microsoft shipped properly working product the tech
        industry/economy would probably disintegrate!

        Once you understand the above, the technical industry starts to make a
        little more sense; its consulting and professional support services that
        drive the economy and not properly functioning gear!

        -Rob