nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:17:16 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I agree with you on that. Hot swapability for various interfaces is
something routers obviously have over PC's.

Hot swap PCI is old news.

True... unless going for 64 bit PCI at 66MHz... still it's obvious that
routers are designed for one simple purpose and generally have larger
backplanes to handle that.

However, $ for $, even when buying used cisco gear at 80% off from
dot-booms, a PC router will outperform any traditional router.

I agree a router is probably more efficient in just routing packets, but in
complex filtering or traffic manipulation/packet sniffing, a PC might have
the edge. :)

Yes, ipfw/dummy is very very cool. Like, inducing a few 100 msecs of
latency to folks who don't pay on time :)

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex () nac net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --