nanog mailing list archives

Re: number of hops != performance

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:25:10 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Petri Helenius wrote:

If your L3 topology is well aligned with your L1 topology, you usually
end up with more hops. The less intermediate gear, like SONET you
use but do L3 instead, the more L3 hops you have.

This is exactly what we do, we run L3 pretty much directly on the fiber
with some OEO-repeaters in between, therefore we display much of our
infrastructure in a traceroute. We can do a L2 hop instead, that will
probably make things less efficient in some cases and will hide the
underlying infrastructure, but will make customers happy. I don't like to
do silly technical suboptimisations for cosmetical reasons.

B) you have more places for things to go wrong in both hardware and
   software.

This is specifically true for the hop-hiders using MPLS or other mostly
pointless multihop recursive switching systems.

Quite true. I mean, either the equipment does an L2 or an L3 hop, either
way it can go wrong.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se