nanog mailing list archives

RE: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:01:34 -0400 (EDT)

Steganography looked great in that hollywood movie Along Came a Spider
with Morgan Freeman (or at least the 'screen friendly' version they
portrayed) but a recent study of millions of graphics across USENET
found zero steganographic images. Great theory, no examples found in the
wild, other than in Hollywood scripts and some folk trading porn of the
type not usually posted to the public Internet.

Steno principals are alive and well. Covert channel transmissions are alive
and well. Both were used to bypass compartmentalization on a certain secure
OS. If anyone needs to encode data in valid HTML to tunnel it through a
firewall, it *will* be done. Several years ago, we had implementations of
telnet over email, I am sure modifying it to do telnet over HTML would be a
rather trivial task.

Alex