nanog mailing list archives

Re: An A record is an MX record and is a missing MX....

From: Richard Irving <rirving () onecall net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 16:04:54 -0500

Adam McKenna wrote:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 05:25:35PM -0500, Richard Irving wrote:
  It isn't exactly completely RFC compliant, but, it is only a -=Request=-, eh ?

It is in fact required that an MTA fall back to the A record for a domain if
an MX record does not exist.  See RFC 2821, Section 5, "Address Resolution
and Mail Handling".

   Agreed, but nothing -requires- an MTA Agent have an MX record, in the first
  place.... it is just a best CBP. Not having one means you don't comply
  with ALL the RFC, but you are still RFC compliant. Not the same thing, FWIW.

Obviously some admins I have encountered are starting to host mailservers
for sub-domains and domains without MX entries on their DNS zone records.
Relying on the A record alone.

   Lemmings make a mad dash towards a cliff, every so often, en masse....

This is a fallacy perpetrated by Disney.

   No, that they are committing suicide is a fallacy. That they jump up
  and begin migrating to lower population density regions is fact...
  and they "just happen" to suicide in the process.

   But, heck, ignore this one citation, and reference recent notions that
  war is possibly "programmed into our gene's".... similar concept.

   Similar irrational mass behavior.

   Remember American Prohibition ? (aka: 21'st Amendment) rode
  in on the idea that Absinth was "Evil Incarnate", and yes,
  "the young were being lead to Hell itself....Damned!"

  They were drinking Absinth,
  listening to no less than the Devil's -=Own=- Music!

  Imagine that, kids listening to Devil Music!

 (Ozzie, where are you ? "War Pigs" comes to mind...)

  Yes, Kids listening to "Devil Music" !

  A cry not unheard among the generations,
    and perhaps one you have even heard yourself.....

   Of course, helping to put it into context of those times,
  as opposed to your (probably) more recent context:

  Do you -=still=- concur that JAZZ is the Devil's music ?

  So, it was irrational behavior of the Masses, eh ?

  * shrug *

    Like I said, Lemmings ever so often jump up, and make
  a mad dash......

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

   However, I feel that perhaps this discussion does NOT belong
  on NANOG..... head to Nanog off topic, if you would like
  to continue the discussion....

  ;)

--Adam