nanog mailing list archives

[no subject]

the mentioned file,
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.nspllc.com/New%20Pages/Reliable%20IP%20Nodes.pdf";>http://www.nspllc.com/New%20Pages/Reliable%20IP%20Nodes.pdf</a>
seems to be fluff to me.
</big></big>
There are many assumptions and statements about
reliability, but the methodology of how the numbers
were reached is not present.  If one assumes that one
has a router which fails very rarely, this would
dramatically affect network design.  However, this is
an assumption, not a conclusion.  The assumption of
the paper is that the Alcatel box has ultra-low
failure rates, while the Juniper and Cisco boxen have
relatively high failure rates.  Personally, before I
let something like this influence my buying/design
decisions, I'd want to see some serious raw data...

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-