nanog mailing list archives

Re: Independent space from ARIN

From: Jeff McAdams <jeffm () iglou com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:48:27 -0400

Also Sprach jlewis () lewis org
Based on recent activity with www.arin.net, I think they're more concerned
with the look & feel of their web site than the actual content.  I'd say
fire the graphic design person/people and use that money to simply keep
the site up to date and functional or to pay more IP analysts.

There does seem to be either a lack of consistency or some conflicting
policies depending on how many allocations you've gotten.  You might get
used to one policy and then find it no longer applies to you.

I've run into this too...having ARIN point fingers at past growth and
simultaneously quoting rfc2050 saying to only request 3 months worth.
IMO, that policy sucks, which is why I suggested someone write an update
for rfc2050.  Actually, once you get used to dealing with ARIN, filling
out the forms the way they want, and have your IP allocation data in a
format that lends itself to easily filling in the blanks on the request
form, getting more space isn't that big a deal, but it still is a pain to
do, requires updating filters, router configs, routing registries, etc.
and doing it several times a year just seems like a waste of time.  Once a
year would be more acceptable.

We're in agreement on these points...

FWIW, our SWIP's are perfectly up to do.  While they're not filed
automatically by our billing/provisioning system, it does put in a
ticket into our ticket tracking system to tell one of our technicians to
do it...and our billing/provisioning system is *anal* about it, too.  :)

Suffice it to say, that would not have been practical in our case.

If that's the sort of detail you gave ARIN, it's no surprise you've not
gotten what you want from them.

No, I gave ARIN considerably more detail than that...I just don't care
to share what could be considered internal, proprietary information
about our network on a public mailing list.  We don't have a great deal
to hide, and we don't do things drastically differently than many other
networks, but I'd rather not broadcast how we're set up far and wide,
thanks.

allocation...we just, again, wanted to renumber out of the PA (what
does the "A" stand for, there, by the way?) space, with a /20+.  And,
no, I'm

PI = provider indepentent (you can take it with you if you change providers)
PA = provider assigned (switch providers and you lose the space)
or were you being rhetorical for some reason?

No, I knew the concepts, I just couldn't figure out what the "A"
expanded out to.  Nothing more.

going to have to renumber in 3 months if you want all that renumbering
to be into a single block.  Like it or not, those appear to be the
rules.

Yup, thus my comment(s) about common sense being dead.

given the allocations (both PA and PI) that we have, and we're
desiring (for business reasons as well as altruistic) to renumber out
of PA space into fewer, but larger, PI blocks.  ARIN has been a
stumbling block to us accomplishing these things every step of the
way.

Other than doing your part to slow routing table growth (and the
obvious desire to get as much space as possible, as infrequently as
possible from ARIN), why do you care how many IP blocks (and what
sizes) you have?  For traffic engineering purposes, there are actually
advantages to more smaller blocks.

Agreed...having smaller blocks allows finer grained control of
traffic...but for the reasons you noted, there, we're trying to "Do the
Right Thing", as I said.  While we're a business, and are in it to make
money, (and successfully do so), we still try to have something of a
community minded approach to dealing with issues of commons (such as
routing table size, ip address depletion, etc.).  I know its rare to see
an ISP actually care about things like that for other's benefit...but
that's really, a large part of the reason that we try to do this.

Of course, not having to go back to ARIN every 3 months is a benefit as
well, so its not completely altruistic, but there is certainly an
element of altruism (believe it or not) to it.

ARIN has failed to accomplish everything that it was created to do.
Its whole purpose for existence has basically not been served.

It makes a big profit though :)  Have you seen their financial reports?

I've been scared to look.  I'm already cynical enough about ARIN.

Well...as someone else mentioned...apparently you can never fill out
an ARIN form without ever being asked for clarification on a
different form.  Why don't they just have you fill out the second
form in the first place?

Practice.

Well...that gives me hope for the future...and other than being
annoying, wasn't really the crux of my issues with ARIN.

And some people wonder why most of the world dreads dealing with
ARIN.

Most of the world doesn't have to...just North America.

True...but my point is still basically valid, if you ignore the
ethnocentrism.
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm () iglou com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848