nanog mailing list archives

Re: Zebra Router???

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:10:22 -0400

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 01:58:35AM -0400, Tom Daly wrote:

This box is running as a simple static router, i.e. one subnet on the
inside, Internet feed on the other side. No BGP, no RIP, no OSPF. Pretty
simple, eh?

Let me get this straight. No routing protocols? Perhaps Zebra is not what
you need. :)

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 might be more your speed.

So the goal is to know the bandwidth limitation of this router. Any
ideas? I've heard numbers of 35Meg, 40 Meg, etc, however, I have not
recieved a good reason backing it up. Can anyone offer some input on
this?

As much as I hate to say this, stock FreeBSD makes a terrible high
performance router. The route-cache is horribly out of date with modern
techniques, and there just aren't that many wackjobs out there trying to
shove a hungred megs through a unix box to fully debug it (with the
exception of a certain notoriously cheap people who will probably respond
to this email talking about their success with FORE ATM OC3 cards :P).

Then again, as long as it's your network and not mind, who am I to stop
you.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras