nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open relays and open proxies

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:01:40 -0400

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:31:57 +0200, Daniel Concepcion <dani () danielcp net>  said:

I think that the end of the spam and open relays will be  when the smtp
servers talk only with servers  with trust.

There's 40 million .com's out there.  Which ones do I trust?

The bgp approach peering and transit will be ported to a new smtp protocol.
Other approach could be the dns system. A central authority that will have
registered  the stmp servers. This servers could delegate in other servers,
etc.

The routing registries have fixed *all* those problems for BGP, haven't they?

Remember - if an ISP will sell bandwidth to a spammer, they will sell a
registration for their SMTP server.  Any "central registry/DNS/whatever"
scheme has to allow for that reality.

Say this over and over until you understand:  No anti-spam solution that
involves asking either the spammer or their network provider any variant of the
question "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" can *possibly* work, because
the spammer and their network provider both have reasons to lie and say "Good
Witch".  If you're going to ask *anybody*, it has to be a reputable
*disinterested* third party.  That's why RBLs are popular (and note the
"disinterested" requirement - many RBLs become unpopular when they start
using their entries to chase political agendas...)

I don't know if is out there some draft about a new secure and spam free smtp

protocol. But may be interesting for the big players that loose money
(Bandwith, servers, staff, etc)  accepting spam for their users.

Part of the problem is shady ISP's who *MAKE* money selling bandwidth/etc to
the spammers.