nanog mailing list archives

Re: Selfish routing

From: Barney Wolff <barney () pit databus com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 23:35:18 -0400

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 07:53:19PM -0700, Mike Lloyd wrote:

Selfish routing is the simplest and cheapest to implement, which are large
factors in evaluating the "best" dumb network.

Simpler than a God of TE in the middle of the network, but not simplest.
 What we have today is about the simplest, and it's not what
Roughgarden means by "selfish" routing.  He assumes routing which
promptly responds to congestion-induced latency, and that is not
automated in much of the Internet today.  It's also not simple to
implement correctly.

The technology is available, and a perennial question (which Sean
Donelan referred to at least obliquely at the start of this thread) is
whether it's better to use smarter routing decisions, to add more
bandwidth, or to just leave things as they are.  Since we're awash in
bandwidth we can't find enough uses for, and some users remain
dissatisfied, it's nice to see academic results that suggest option one
is (theoretically) effective.

Er, nothing in the paper said anything at all about the performance of
latency-influenced routing vs other, presumably dumber, schemes.  Other
papers, maybe?  References?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.