nanog mailing list archives

Re: Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Looking to buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:54:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Daniel Golding wrote:

While its certainly wrongb to steal IPs like this, some of the blame
must go to the  RIRs. They should be repo-ing this space. I realize they
engage in much  handwrining over their "lack of authority", but authority
to route address space is, for all intents and purposes, given by those
who actually do the routing. Furthermore, ARIN has a large warchest for
defending against legal challenges.

ARIN needs to repo any space that has been advertised for a reasonable
length of time, and reissue it.

Should any of the ISP community hold any responsibility to help the RIR's
pull this space back when they are hijacked? I would think
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC would like to see ISP's email them blocks that are
hijacked so they can reclaim them, or put them into a holding pen while
they attempt to contact the owners... (then reclaim if no contacts can be
made)

-Chris