nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:35:39 -0500

on 8/17/2003 9:09 PM hackerwacker () tarpit cybermesa com wrote:

Org A makes a killing. Given that the players were producers, buyers
and sellers of the same product this creates no incentaive to build out
additional capasity. Quite different from say, Hog futures, were the
supply side and demand side are not the same person. According the the
NPR report I heard on this, the money to be made here is huge  provided
there was just enough power or not quite enough. So there were not
market checks and ballances. having additional capasity on hand, in
this system, drives down price in a futures market.

Capacity isn't the problem. The problem is that there aren't enough lines
between the providers and consumers to carry the current volume.

So back on Sean's question, maps did not divulge this; at least not the
primary cause. I see the primary cause as economic. It seems to me we
are seeking a mechanical cause instead of looking at the fauly business
model that allowed this to happen.

No sorry. The grid is a national problem and has been stabbed at several
times, but different special interests always move to keep the necessary
work from being done.

  LULU -- Locally Undesirable Land Use
  NIMBY -- Not In My Backyard
  BANANA -- Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone
  NOPE -- Nowhere on Planet Earth

Another more-recent camp are those who see everything as a move by The Man
and Mr. Big which must be stopped.