nanog mailing list archives

Re: North America not interested in IP V6

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

That's one way of doing it; a large cable ISP in the Netherlands
required customers to phone in when they had fried their network card.
Nowadays the cable modems handed out to subscribers allow configuration
of this by the end customer.

BUT: I don't think Chris and me were thinking about big bad ugly LANs
with customers attached indiscriminately, though.  With DSL provisioning
systmes using RFC1483 bridged (do I have my buzzwords correct here?) the
DHCP server can discriminate between customers based on VCI/VPI numbers
instead, negating the need to look at the MAC address of the request.

When you dont have alternatives, it does seem like a possible good idea.
When it costs money to add additional customers, any additional step that a
customer should make gives the customer yet another reason to switch to
someone that does not make them jump.

Alex