nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level3 routing issues?

From: Tony Kapela <xam () chalupa wi2600 org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:10:46 -0600 (CST)

On 26 Jan 2003, Michael Lamoureux wrote:

 "dave" == Dave Stewart <dbs () dbscom com> writes:

dave> I've seen various references to this worm firing off and
dave> saturating networks worldwide within 1 minute... if *that* isn't
dave> scary, I don't know what is.  It shows that someone, with the
dave> right tools and enough vulnerable servers can take out a good
dave> portion of the Internet in seconds.  And how can we predict
dave> *every* possible issue and block it?

Exactly!!  This is why the Right Answer (TM) is to get end-users to
secure their systems and networks so that an attacker can't get a
critical mass of hosts in 1 minute (or even 1 month).  You can only do

Maybe the underlying theme is that, for whatever reasons (market
preassures, business idiocy?), we find ourselves on a network that's
largely a collection of monoculture hosts -- win32 on x86.

--Tk