nanog mailing list archives

RE: Working vulnerability? (Cisco exploit)

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:15:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 jlewis () lewis org wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Ben Buxton wrote:

It's released and it works - I have verified it in a lab here.

And others are trying it in the field now.  I setup the recommended
transit ACLs yesterday.  Starting at 9:25am EDT this morning, those ACLs
started getting hits.  What doesn't make sense to me is according to the
advisory, the packets have to be destined for the router to crash it (not
just passed through it), but people are attacking seemingly random IPs,
including ones in a new ARIN block that have not yet been assigned/used
for anything.  What do they think they're attacking?

Is there wide spread use of the protocol 55? (IP Mobility) There seems to
be alot of that around, more than I'd have expected :)