nanog mailing list archives

Re: North America not interested in IP V6

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:22:41 -0400

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:21:03AM -0700, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

      At work we implimented 12.2(T) on our IPv6 routers and there were some
problems, can't recall specifics now, that meant we did do several IOS
upgrades to try and fix. Now we have just finished upgrading to 12.3 on
all our routers network-wide and only have the IPv6 functions turned on
for those routers we have IPv6 traffic going through...

Well, now we are talking about IPv6, I can ask a question right here ;)

Does anyone have any experiences with the Cisco IPv6 IOS (T or S
releases)? Can be either good or bad experiences. I heard there were some
issues (router freezes etc) with the T releases...

Have to convince the management :)

        I've had very good luck with 12.2(14)S3 on the 7200
devices.

        I can't currently recommend any software for the 7500
if you have a CT3 interface in your router (as most of the
ones I manage do) that supports IPv6.

        The next Cisco release of 12.2S (it will likely be
called 12.2(18)S should have all the important IPv6 features
that would be necessary for a larger scale deployment (eg: OSPFv3)
of IPv6 services.

        If you're a customer of AS2914 and interested in
IPv6, you should send us a note ipv6 () eng verio net, and we can
get things configured fairly quickly.

        I am seeing at peak 1Mb+ on some of our IPv6 locations
(mostly outside the US) but the trend does appear to be upwards.

        I know that other providers (Sprint, Hurricane Electric [i keep
getting those yellow postcards at home], to name a few) have IPv6
services currently available to customers.  It seems fairly
easy to get a /48 allocation, so if you think you might go IPv6
in the next few years, it's worthwhile to set up a spare 26xx/36xx
at least to tunnel the traffic with.

        (I have also had good results with 12.3(1a) releases).

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net