nanog mailing list archives

Re: from Dave Farber's list: Ireland to regulate peering

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:27:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Steve Bellovin wrote:
ComReg is planning to apply the principles of voice interconnect to all
network types; this means that "operators of public communications
networks shall have a right, and when requested by other [operators], an
obligation to negotiate interconnection with each other for the purpose of
providing publicly available electronic communications services." In
effect, IP networks will have to peer with each other on request.

Even worse, the "interconnect" (i.e. peering) prices will be subject to
review by the Irish regulator if either party feels that they're not being
offered a fair deal.

This doesn't look like Ireland is regulating peering.  They are regulating
the price of Internet service.

If I'm willing to pay list price, I can get "peering" or an interconnection
with almost any ISP in the world.  I can call the sales offices of any
provider, and on request most of them will sell me a connection to their
network.

Ireland appears to be saying, if I don't like the price I can ask the
Irish government to order ISPs in Ireland to charge less.  If I think
a grocery store in Ireland is charging too much for potatoes, can I
ask the Irish government to order the grocery store to change its price
on potatoes?