nanog mailing list archives

Re: more on lame-delegation.org, seems to waste IP space and DNS

From: william () elan net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:39:55 -0700 (PDT)

For all top-level domains you can register a domain and not have any
name servers specified for it. In whois it'll say exactly that -
"no nameservers".

Not correct, registrar and registry agreements require at least two
name servers.
Unless I'm mistaken (which is doubtfull considering how often I see whois
results with "no nameserver" in crsnic whois) this is not the case. In
fact I remember hearing about removing requirement to have two
nameservers back in 1999 when things where still being handled only by
NSI and ICANN was non-existant.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc.