nanog mailing list archives

Re: 69/8...this sucks -- Centralizing filtering..

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:04:47 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:

If all routes in the routing table are good (which soBGP and S-BGP can
do for you) and routers filter based on the contents of the routing
table, hosts will not see any bogon packets except locally generated
ones so they shouldn't have bogon filters of their own.

I believe you are confusing authentication with authorisation.

I don't think I am.

Having authentic routes does not imply that all the traffic will be
'correct'. Various networks will always fail to filter customer traffic at
ingress etc. and then source address spoofing becomes trivial.

I don't see your point. Packets with bogon sources are just one class of
spoofed packets. As I've explained earlier S-BGP or soBGP with uRPF will
get rid of bogons. Neither this or bogon filters on the host will do
anything against non-bogon spoofed packets.